September 18, 2016
CUSTOM DESIGN AND BUILD WITHIN 40 MILES OF LAKE TAHOE, CA+NV
Made from scrap oak and steel these are the only two pairs made (W16"xD16"xH19" each).
Available at our Tahoe City, CA gallery. Steps for construction . . .
- find scraps about the same size and let them tell you what they want to be and then design
- square up 16 oak block scraps the same size (use a jointer, planer and a saw for the tops and bottoms)
- dry-fit blocks in a pinwheel pattern for square
- design steel legs and have them cut with a water jet, the folks at olsonworks, inc cut these
- dry-fit steel legs and plan attachment method
- drill legs on a drill press, being systematic makes like easy
- add gun blue patina and clear-coate the legs
- glue blocks together with gorilla glue or equal (use splines, biscuits, or dominos to maximize stability)
- cleaned up blocks with sanding tools and paper
- tung oil wood as needed and repeat over the years if needed
- enjoy for many years and let the piece age and be enhanced by your life events
Post by Robb Olson